Who needs box cutters? | Buzz Blog
We need your help.

Newspapers and media companies nationwide are closing or suffering mass layoffs since the coronavirus impacted all of us starting in March. City Weekly's entire existence is directly tied to people getting together in groups--in clubs, restaurants, and at concerts and events--which are the industries most affected by new coronavirus regulations.

Our industry is not healthy. Yet, City Weekly has continued publishing thanks to the generosity of readers like you. Utah needs independent journalism more than ever, and we're asking for your continued support of our editorial voice. We are fighting for you and all the people and businesses hardest hit by this pandemic.

You can help by making a one-time or recurring donation on PressBackers.com, which directs you to our Galena Fund 501(c)(3) non-profit, a resource dedicated to help fund local journalism. It is never too late. It is never too little. Thank you. DONATE

Who needs box cutters?




On what I thought would be a routine flight (Delta #1107) from Philadelphia to Salt Lake City last night, I learned just how fragile our airline system really can be. As we were taxiing and getting ready for takeoff, a woman in the front of the plane suffered a "medical emergency." (She probably freaked out when someone coughed on her, thinking she'd just been given the swine flu.) So, we returned to the gate and waited while medical technicians excorted the woman from the airplane, then waited some more while the luggage was unloaded and her baggage was identified and removed.

The episode resulted in a flight delay of approximately 90 minutes. Most folks who were planning to make connections to other flights in SLC were out of luck. Still, I thought the night's excitement was behind us. Nope. Approximately 40 minutes prior to landing in SLC another medical emergency occured on the flight. This time, it appeared that a women might be going into labor. She was hustled to the rear galley of the aircraft, where the flight attendants administered quality care. (Seriously, this flight crew earned every penny last night.) Once landed in SLC, passengers again were asked to remain seated while the medical emergency was attended to by on-the-ground EMTs and police officers. By the time we disembarked, we were some 2 1/2 hours behind schedule. You can imagine the ripple effects for travels trying to make connecting flights. Most of them were forced to stay in SLC overnight.

Medical emergencies happen. However, enduring not one, but two of them on a single domestic flight last night made me realize that would-be terrorists don't need box cutters, bombs, or burning sneakers to bring airline travel to a standstill. All it would take would be a well-organized series of medical emergencies (faked or perhaps brought on by drugs or whatever) to create delays and throw a monkey wrench into the air travel system that would result in the loss of billions of dollars. And the thing is, I doubt there's one damn thing anyone could do to prevent it.