As many of you know, today is the 40th Anniversary of the moon landing and / or when Lance Armstrong rode his bike to the moon. Either way, to give the date some perspective, here are some other major events that happened in 1969.
• Rocky Marciano, Boris Karloff, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Rolling Stones founding member Brian Jones all died in 1969.
• NY Jets QB Joe Namath guarantees victory, then delivers by beating the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl 3.
• The Boston Celtics beat the Lakers in the NBA Finals, 4-3.
• The New York Mets win the World Series over the Baltimore Orioles, 4 games to 1.
• Majestic Prince wins the 1st two legs of the Triple Crown before losing the Belmont Stakes.
• Joe Frazier was the heavyweight champion of the world.
• July 20, 1969… San Francisco Giants pitcher Gaylord Perry, some six years after his manager quipped, "They'll put a man on the moon before he hits a home run," hits the first home run of his career just hours after Neil Armstrong lands on the moon...