Tour Diary: Desert Noises (part 3) | Buzz Blog
Support the Free Press.
Facts matter. Truth matters. Journalism matters.
Salt Lake City Weekly has been Utah's source of independent news and in-depth journalism since 1984.
Donate today to ensure the legacy continues.

Tour Diary: Desert Noises (part 3)


It might seem like it’s been awhile since indie rockers Desert Noises were around the valley. Well, that’s true, but the end of their summer-long nationwide tour is in sight, they report from the road.---

The Provo-based, Northplatte recording artists wrap up their stint as newly accustomed road warriors with a final few shows in the Northwest this week. You can catch them when they return for a CD-release show in September; stay tuned for the lowdown on that gig.

For more information about this tour and to read Part One of their Tour Diary, go here, and to read Part Two, go here.

Frontman Kyle Henderson writes the band's final tour diary entry for the summer from the Northwest on August 7, 2011:


Sorry it’s been a while since the last blog. The last couple weeks of tour were extremely busy and hectic. We were able to come home for a day to play at Slowtrain [Editor’s Note: This was for a pre-release for the band’s forthcoming full-length Mountain Sea on vinyl]. It was amazing to see Chris and Anna again; they are some of the most wonderful people out there. We feel extremely lucky to be able to work with them. If you get a minute, go down to the store and thank them for all they do in the music scene in SLC.

Then we were back on the road and we played the Nuerolux in Boise with a really cool band called Teens. During our set, they came on stage with all their friends, and we had a good ol' time, screaming and dancing. The next day, we floated the Boise River with the one and only Matt Hopper (check out his music). There is nothing more relaxing than floating down water in a few sinking blow-up boats. Later that night, my mom called to tell me that my grandfather had passed away. They wanted me to be at the funeral, so they bought me an early morning flight from Portland on the 22nd. We played a show in Portland the night of the 21st and I went straight to the airport, flew home, attended the funeral and flew back out in the same day. When I returned, we hung out with some friends we had made the night before. I think I might still be trying to catch up on the lost rest from the experience.

The rest of tour was filled with late-night shows and sleeping on the beach. We are out again now with our friends Candy Claws! They are a really dreamy band from Fort Collins and the first two shows have been a really good time. w=We played a house show last night in Pullmam, Wash. The whole room was dancing and yelling—nothing like a tiny room full of people jumping around and singing! Our next show is in Seattle at the Vera Project on the 9th with Teen Daze and we can’t wait.

See you soon!

BTW, here are those dates with Candy Claws and AAN:
8/9 - Seattle, WA - Vera Project w/ Teen Daze
8/10 - Olympia, WA - The Guest House
8/11 - Portland, OR - Mississippi Studios

Follow Me:%uFFFD