Dear GYA, Looks like the forecast for this weekend calls for a 70 percent chance of snow throughout the valley. Which means commuters shouldn't have much to worry about other than the 100 percent chance of SLC weathermen calling it the storm of the century. Anything to do this weekend before the impending "snowmageddon?" - Hillary Grotenburg, Sandy---
Hillary, As we all know, 2 to 3 inches of snow equals a snowmageddon. But, anything above 3 to 5 inches is categorized as a snowpocalypse. Hopefully, our local weathermen won't make this common mistake. Here's what's up for this weekend. Let's start with Friday:
- Local black-death-metal bands The Wild Ones and the Salt Lake Spitfires will be at ABGs. Doors open at 9 p.m.
- SLUG Localized will be at Urban Lounge. Bands include Filth Lords, Chainwhip and Year Of The Wolf. Cover is $5. Doors open at 10 p.m.
- Author and Boing Boing editor Cory Doctrow will be reading and signing his latest novel Homeland today at The King's English Bookshop. The event starts at 2 p.m.
- For some roller derby action, check out the Black Diamond Divas versus The Hot Wheelers tonight at the Derby Depot (1415 S. 700 West). The bout starts at 7. Tickets are $10.
- Big Shiny Robot, True TV and Brewvies present Season 3.5 of the AMC zombie-apocalypse epic The Walking Dead -- free, on the big screen, beginning at 7 p.m.
- The Steve Basset Band will be performing at The Garage tonight at 6.
- Piper Down's famous Kerry O'Kee is happening at 9 p.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.