Former justice-court judge joins with former prosecutor | Buzz Blog
Support the Free Press.
Facts matter. Truth matters. Journalism matters.
Salt Lake City Weekly has been Utah's source of independent news and in-depth journalism since 1984.
Donate today to ensure the legacy continues.

Former justice-court judge joins with former prosecutor



Where does a former justice-court judge go when he retires from the bench amid complaints from citizens and criticism from another judge? If you're Keith Stoney, you become a criminal-defense attorney with your former prosecutor, Lindsay Jarvis.---

Jarvis was the prosecutor before Stoney for West Valley City, then, beginning in 2007, for Saratoga Springs before an uprising by a vocal group of residents led to criticism about her and Stoney, along with allegations of heavy-handed methods. 

Jarvis ultimately resigned in 2011, telling a Deseret News reporter she was tired of being attacked by the vocal critics. She joined criminal-defense firm Allan & Easton, running their West Jordan office.

Jarvis has strong ties with law enforcement, including working as a legal instructor at the Utah Police Academy. She successfully defended a West Valley officer against the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office, which dropped a misdemeanor charge relating to a traffic shooting it had ruled as unjustified.

As an attorney on the Fraternal Order of Police's roster of recommended names to call, she's also representing one of the West Valley detectives involved in the Danielle Willard shooting. FOP advised the detectives to remain silent after the shooting, Jarvis told Fox 13's Ben Winslow.

Stoney came under intense criticism for jailing a woman in 2010 who had recorded a portion of a hearing in his Saratoga Springs court. Stoney told The Salt Lake Tribune's Aaron Falk that he resigned following a retirement offer from West Valley City.  But, 4th District Court judge Claudia Laycock had also found that Stoney had violated the woman's due process by locking her up for a day.

"Judge Stoney's error was egregious and its consequences were severe," Laycock wrote in her ruling.