Dear GYA, I can't believe Snoop Dogg quit rap music and changed his name to Snoop Lion. It reminds of me of that time when Michael Jordan tried his hand at baseball or when Bono became McPhisto. These things never turn out well. Anything happening this weekend that won't change its damned name on me? - Garth Brooks aka Chris Gaines---
Garth, I know what you mean, but sometimes people create alter egos that turn out pretty well. Remember when David Bowie did Ziggy Stardust? Or how about when Stephen Colbert became Stephen Colbert? Anyways, here are a few solid choices for your weekend that are pretty cut and dry:
Let's start with Friday:
- The First Annual Park City Tattoo Convention will be going down at the Yarrow Resort and Event Center, beginning at 10 a.m.
- The Egyptian Theatre in Park City will be hosting Stand-Up Comedy Night, starting at 8 p.m.
- The Deer Valley Music Festival will be debuting Disney in Concert at 7:30 p.m.
- For an evening of dubstep, check out Dubwise at Urban Lounge, starting at 9 p.m.
- Snowbird will be showing a free screening of Home Alone tonight at 8 p.m.
- The Salt Lake Bees will be taking on the New Orleans Zephyrs at 7:05 p.m.
As for Saturday:
- Urban Lounge will be hosting the Awful Truth CD Release Party. The doors open at 9 p.m.
- The acclaimed musical Wicked will be goin' down at the Capitol Theatre at 2 and 8 p.m.
- The Downtown Farmers Market will be happening at Pioneer Park, starting at 8 a.m.
- Go check out Ogden Nature Center for free every Saturday, beginning at 8 a.m.
- At the Jeanne Wagner Theatre, checkout Plan-B Theatre Company's production of 8: The Play.
And for Sunday:
- Roger Hodgson, the former lead singer of Supertramp, will be performing at Deer Valley tonight at 7 p.m.
- The University of Utah Physics Department will be hosting a Mars Rover Landing Party at 9:30 p.m. in room #1100, Language and Communications Building, President's Circle. The Natural History Museum of Utah will also host a landing party on Monday from 2 to 4 p.m.
- In Park City, the Park Silly Sunday Market will be kicking off at 10 a.m.
- The Salt Lake Bees will be taking on the Oklahoma Red Hawks at 4:05 p.m.
- Brewvies, along with City Weekly, True TV and Red Rock Brewing, will be showing a free screening of the latest Breaking Bad episode at 8 p.m.
For this weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog The Secret Handshake.