Dear GYA, I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see that new Superman movie. But, forget about all the CGI and all the overblown action, it's all about watching Kevin Costner play an American farmer. When you need an actor to fix a tractor or walk around a cornfield, nobody does it better than Costner. Anything to do this weekend better than 90 minutes of Kevin of Costner? - Hammy Froshlen, Sandy ---
Hammy, Also, if the new Superman movie has an apocalyptic twist, then you know Costner is the man. Here's what's up for this weekend, starting with Friday's events:
- Los Angeles-based indie band Everest will be onstage at Kilby Court this evening. The show starts at 8. Tickets are $10.
- Soul singer Rachel Yamagata will be at The State Room this evening. The show starts at 8. Tickets are $17.
- Next Friday actor and stand-up comedian Mike Epps will be performing at Wiseguys West Valley at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $30.
- Comedian Joey Coco Diaz will on the mic at Wiseguys Trolley Square. Tickets are $20. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- In Orem, Disney's Tarzan: The Musical will be going down at the SCERA shell. The show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $8.
- Urban Lounge will be hosting the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion tonight at 9. Tickets are $15.
- The Beehive Sport and Social Club is hosting WingFest 2.0, starting at noon, on W. Pierpont Ave.
- Indie band Hands will be at Kilby Court tonight. The show starts at 8. Tickets are $8.
- In all things roller derby, The Bone Crushers will be taking on the Ventura County Derby Darlins at the Derby Depot, starting at 8 p.m.
- Stand-up comedian Andrew Sleighter will be on the mic at Wiseguys Trolley Square. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $12.
- Gypsy-folk band Hectic Hobo will be at The Urban Lounge tonight. The Insurgents and The Red on Black are also on the bill. Tickets are $5.
- City Weekly, True TV, Bohemian Brewery & Brewvies will be showing a free screening of the latest Mad Men live on the big screen. The show starts at 8 p.m.
- The Generationals will be onstage at Urban Lounge tonight. Young Empires will open up. The show starts at 9. Tickets are $10.
- DJ Street Jesus will be hosting Funk & Soul night at Bourbon House tonight, beginning at 9.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.